Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rules to live by

Over the years, I have tried to live by some simple rules. I do stray from them a lot. But I strive, sometimes with great difficulty, to get back on the right track again.

I started with three simple rules: the first three on the list below. Over time, my list increased -- usually because of a personal life changing event or because of a powerful insight. I have tried to make these life rules as few as possible; it would be difficult and unrealistic to create more and not follow them.

Today I add a new one: I will listen.

I will listen, and listen well, to what other people have to say before making any response. I regularly interrupt while the other is still talking, and I do this a lot especially with those closest to me. And sometimes this has caused some hurt and strain in my relationships. Darn.

1. I will never put off later what I can do now.
2. I will honor all commitments big and small.
3. I will never think, talk, and harbor ill will against any man.
4. I will be kind especially those who have less in life than me.
5. I will do something everyday to improve my life.
6. Five minutes of deep prayer every morning right after waking up.
7. I will not squander my time with worthless activities.
8. I will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment


manny