Friday, October 24, 2008

Contruction

I passed by an apartment being built today, and this word just popped-out of my mind: contruction.

When our house was being built, I heard "contruction" often loosely used by the workers.

"Pila ka na ka tuig nagtrabaho sa construction, Manong."

"Dugay nako nagtrabaho sa contruction, sir."

Being an O.C. in a lot of things -- spelling, grammar, overnight basura, chairs and tables with eneven legs, and others -- wonderfully keeps me on a steady state of imbalance. So when I first heard "contruction", I had to strain my ears to listen to the conversations, thinking I might have missed hearing the S somewhere. The Sssss were, sadly, always absent.

Another time, I was talking to a contractor friend, and he said he needed to get IDs for his workers for a contruction he was doing at a plush subdivision. I nearly hissed when I heard him say it.

Contruction: the filipino workers' contribution to the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment


manny